Diners spot burning utility pole before outage

By CHARLIE SMITH,

Crews were working to restore power – and diners eating by candlelight at nearby Rajun Cajun’s – after a transformer apparently blew tonight at the intersection of U.S. 98 and Mississippi 13.

The Pearl River Valley Electric Power Association had four bucket trucks on the scene. Power was out in the shopping center to the south off 13.

The outage happened around 6:45 p.m., diners and employees at the restaurant said.

Jerry Tolbert and his family were walking inside when his daughter, Jasmine, pointed to a fire on top of the pole. She was the first to see it, and people began scrambling to move their cars from underneath it.

Just as they got away, they said they heard three explosions back to back.

“It was like a fireworks explosion. Like bombs,” Lisa Ledet, owner of the restaurant, said.

Utility crews cut off the burning top of the pole around 7:45 and were still working around 8 to get power back connected.

 

Obituaries

Gay Stephens Bennett

90, Foxworth


Opinion:

President Trump says his former personal lawyer Michael Cohen asked him for a pardon. But Cohen... READ MORE


Social

Your granddad’s wall-to-wall carpet lawn doesn’t have to be yours.


Public Notices

The following land transactions were filed in Marion County Chancery Court during the week... READ MORE