This photo taken in the 1940s shows a group of young men sitting at Columbia’s Greyhound bus station, which was located just east of the courthouse. The gray building still remains. The men had most probably signed up in the military and were waiting to leave for military training. Many young men departed Columbia from the bus station to serve in our military during this period of World War II. We honor them as we see a proud group of young, courageous men “going to war." The Marion County Museum has printed annuals with photos and listings of Marion County men who served in the military between 1942 and 1944.
If you can identify any of the young men in the photo, please call Carol Durham at the museum to leave a message at (601) 731-3999 or call her cellphone at (917) 575-1501.
Also, the “rotary telephone” image from 1955 published in the June 18 edition has been identified. It showed, from left, G.W. Maxwell, John Whitfield and T.D Whitfield.