Personnel issues were the main topic at the Columbia Board of Aldermen meeting on Tuesday.
Ordinance Officer Justin Corley addressed the board in Police Chief Michael Kelly’s absence. Upon the recommendation of Corley, the board approved the following changes:
• Frelix Roderick, full-time officer certified;
• Jeffery F. Stamps, part-time officer certified;
• In dispatch Amanda W. Howell, full-time needs to be recertified;
• In dispatch Kayla D. Allen, part-time uncertified;
• In dispatch Kayla Gentry, full-time;
• In dispatch Victoria Williams, part-time.
Columbia Fire Chief Jeff McKenzie recommended and received approval for the following personnel changes:
• Scott Bennett, part-time certified;
• The resignation of Bartley Faulkner.
Also, Alderman-at-large Edward Hough asked Mayor Justin McKenzie if a meeting has been set with the Board of Supervisors to discuss the Marion County BusinessPlex (former Columbia Training School) as a possible location of the SportsPlex. McKenzie said he was advised by Board President Terry Broome that the county board’s attorney, Drew Foxworth, was reviewing the deeds to the land to see what activities are allowed. The Legislature deeded the land to the county, and the county is checking to see about possible stipulations that may be tied to the use of the land.
The next city meeting will be July 16.