The Columbia School board heard-year end statistics at its meeting Tuesday.
Director of Curriculum Dee Dee Randall provided the 2018-19 discipline and attendance report. Overall infractions have dropped for the entire school district. Last year there was a total of 2,648 versus 2,399 this year.
Columbia Primary and Columbia High Schools both had a decreased with infractions while Columbia Elementary and Jefferson Middle School both had increases.
Regarding the attendance, the district as a whole maintained over 90 percent in attendance the entire school year.
Columbia Primary and Columbia Elementary schools both maintained over 90 percent in attendance the entire year, while Jefferson Middle and Columbia High schools fell below 90 percent during December for both schools and also in May for Jefferson Middle.
The Board of Trustees approved the following:
• Superintendent Jason Harris to travel out-of-state July 9-11 to attend an ACT Work Ready Communities Boot Camp in Omaha, Neb.;
• Kimberly Waller, Columbia High School choral director, choral students and chaperones to travel out-of-state March 26-30, 2020, to attend and participate in the DCINY concert series at Carnegie Hall in New York;
• Columbia High School volleyball team to sell products from Sudz Fundraising July 29-Aug. 16. Proceeds will be used to provide team meals and defray costs of the end-of-the-season award banquet;
• Columbia High School Student Council to sell painted parking spaces for $15 each to seniors July 29-Aug. 17. Proceeds will be used to help defray cost of student activities sponsored by the Student Council.
Jefferson Middle School Principal Levi Robinson requested that the board approve the JMS Extended School Year, which runs June 3-28. The board approved the motion.
The board accepted the resignations of the following:
• Gregory Smith, director of school accountability, effective June 1;
• Michael (Scott) Nabors, Jefferson Middle School physical education teacher/assistant high school boys and girls soccer coach, effective June 30;
• Ashlee Montgomery, Columbia Elementary School teacher, effective June 30;
• Angela Smith, Columbia Elementary School teacher, effective June 30.
The board approved the employment of Melissa Jordan and Sarah Robinson for the Extended School Year at Jefferson Middle School.
Upon the recommendations of the superintendent, the board approved the employment of:
• Amber Montgomery, Columbia High School/Jefferson Middle School nurse;
• Brianna Hollis, Columbia Elementary School teacher;
• Sharella Slay, Columbia Elementary School teacher;
• Antonio Johnson, teacher assistant (ISD).
The following transfers were approved:
• Angela Hammond, Jefferson Middle School clerical assistant to Columbia High School secretary/receptionist (front office);
• Acquinetta Myers, Child Nutrition Program substitute to Columbia Primary School Child Nutrition Program manager effective May 6.
The next meeting of the board will be Tuesday, June 25.